I found chapter 6 of Curriculum 21 to be very eye-opening as to just how much the world has changed since the 20th century - especially in the world of education. Since the beginning of this course, I, along with others in the class, have been involved in discussions about how our education system needs a serious overhaul. Chapter 6 really dives into the idea of "global trends" and how these have affected the world in which we live. This is the same world that we are preparing our students for. In order to prepare them for this, we need to transform our learning systems to equip our students with the knowledge and skills they will need to succeed in this new global era" (pg. 101).
Chapter 7 talks about making the curriculum (and learning in general) more appealing to our students and what we, as educators, can do to make this happen. I really enjoyed the story in this chapter about the 8th grade boy that sought out his principal to teach him something that normally he would not have the opportunity to learn. This tells me that this school is on the right track with implementing a school experience for this student, and others, that is inspiring to him and interests him to a point where he wants to take it one step further. I found some of the ideas in this chapter to be what I would consider a little bit more idealistic than realistic but it is a great place to start and definitely provides me with some great ideas of where to start.
No comments:
Post a Comment