I found the resource about Mass Customized Learning (MCL) to be very interesting. This resource takes you to a website that describes the ins-and-outs of MCL. This is the idea of moving out of the "industrial age" and moving into the "information age." The way I understand this concept is that education right now is very "specific" in terms of what we learn, when we learn, and how we learn. MCL suggests a less specified approach where anyone can learn anything, anytime, anywhere, and in any way.
The Industrial Age involves a time-based approach, while the Information Age is all about learning-based instruction. According to the website, MCL is all about "transformational change." I agree with the premise of this resource. Our outdated education system does need help. This website provides just some of the information from a book titled: Inevitable. I would be interested to read this book, as what I have read on the website has really caught my attention.
Amanda,
ReplyDeletei haven't read all of Inevitable, but it is interesting! But I wonder how you would see your role as a teacher if the kids in your room are all working on different learning targets and moving at their own pace, using you as a resource or guide? I've heard Bea McGarvey speak to this model a few times, and she makes it sound easy, but in reality what I have seen and heard from teachers is that it is a bit complicated. Some systems, like Hall Dale have been doing it for a while- in fact they just graduated their first class under that system. I believe it has some good tenets that could move the educational system further, but unfortunately what I see is that we are trying to deliver a different model of learning in the same forms and structures under which we currently work- so it doesn't quite work as well. That along with parents not really understanding or being behind the program can make it extremely difficult- check out what the Oakland systems have been going through! I think I have a cautious optimism about it, but I also believe it may not be the only way to deliver an education that allows students to grow as they need to at their own pace with some ownership over their own learning. It will take some time to see whether it truly prepares students to be more successful in college and the world beyond.